Hormone levels are constantly fluctuating – a normal process that occurs at every stage of life. The body responds to these changes with physical manifestations that can affect the way a person feels on a daily basis. When hormone levels are imbalanced, it is normal to feel uncomfortable, sluggish, and just not quite yourself.
Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance
Both men and women are affected by hormonal imbalances. These changes can occur at any age, though they are especially common in people ages 40 and up. There are four primary types of hormones naturally present in both men and women, though in different quantities.:
Women may be deficient in one or more hormones and experience some of the following symptoms:
- Hot flashes or Night Sweats
- Premenstrual Symptoms
- Menstrual Issues and Irregularity
- Mood Swings
- Anxiety or Depression
- Weight Gain
- Low Libido, Impotence, or Vaginal Dryness
- Fibrocystic Breasts
- Bone Loss (Osteoporosis)
Hormone Imbalance Symptoms in Men
Men may experience a decrease in hormones after 25 years age resulting in some of the following symptoms:
- Decreased Sex Drive, Impotence
- Mood Swings
- Anxiety, Depression or Mood Swings
- Weight Gain
- Low Libido, Impotence
- Hair Loss
- Reduced Muscle Mass
- Insomnia, Sleep Disorders
- Urinary or Prostrate Issues
What Is Bioidentical Hormone Therapy?
Hormone optimization, or bioidentical hormone therapy, is the process of restoring the hormonal balance in both women and men after they have reached menopause and andropause, respectively. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy, also known as BHRT, is a method of replacing or supplementing hormones with naturally-derived hormones like estrogens, progesterone, and androgens that are biologically identical to those produced by a woman’s ovaries (or by a man’s testicles).
BHRT is not a ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach, but rather a personalized hormone balancing therapy that can restore the energy and vigor for life you once enjoyed. There are three major sex hormones: estradiol and progesterone in women, and testosterone in men. Rose Wellness has earned the reputation as one of the most popular providers of bioidentical hormone replacement therapy in Northern Virginia.
Benefits of Bioidentical Hormone Therapy (BHRT)
The primary and most notable benefit of bio-identical hormone therapy is that it can restore optimal hormone balance in the body and help you regain your youthfulness and vitality. BHRT can be tailored to meet the specific needs of each individual. Other benefits include:
- Bioidentical estrogen and progesterone for women can reduce the risk of osteoporosis and breast cancer, and restore the bone density to a certain extent.
- Bioidentical hormone balancing can relieve the uncomfortable symptoms associated with PMS, menopause and andropause.
- BHRT supports the immune function, increases endurance, stamina and energy levels and decreases joint pain caused by hormonal deficiencies.
- Bioidentical testosterone can help aging males maintain lean muscle mass and strength and improve concentration and memory. It can also could help improve cholesterol levels
- Bioidentical hormones also offer aesthetic benefits. For example, estrogen can improve skin elasticity and help skin regain its radiant and healthy glow.
Because BHRT is patient-specific, dosing varies by person. Finally, many people who undergo bio-identical hormone replacement treatment feel as if they have stumbled upon the "fountain of youth."
How Can We Help?
Our physicians at Rose Wellness Center have extensive experience treating thousands of patients with Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy with great results. The initial consultation includes an in-depth analysis of your symptoms and a comprehensive review of your medical history. We utilize some specialized testing to determine your body’s natural hormone levels.
Based on your test results and medical history, your physician will create a personalized treatment plan that may include some lifestyle changes that may be negatively impact your hormone balancing. As part of the entire process, the physician will focus on finding the root cause of your hormonal imbalance and partner with you through your journey to health and wellness.References and Recommended books on Natural Hormones Read about Oprah Winfrey's experience with Bioidentical Hormones
Natural Hormone Balance for Women : Women: Look Younger Feel Stronger, and Live Life with Exuberance, by Uzzi Reiss, MD
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause, by John R, Lee, MD, Virginia Hopkins